Cultured stone can add an element of luxury to any home by installing it on an interior wall. It’s an affordable alternative to having natural stone installed…plus it’s easy to do it yourself.
What You Will Need to Install Cultured Stone:
- Native Custom Stone’s Cultured Stone
- Wire Mesh
- Wire Cutters
- Work Gloves
- Tape Measure
- Tarp (Floor Protector)
- Staple Gun
- You may also need a Wet Tile Saw
- Step 1 – Prepare your interior wall. Measure your wall area and cut your wire mesh to fit. Ensure that your wire mesh doesn’t overlap. Staple the mesh to the wall using a staple gun every 4 to 6 inches by 4 – 6 inches.
- Step 2 – Cover you wire meshed wall with a layer of mastic before beginning installation. Using your flat trowel ensure that you cover the wire mesh enough to fill all voids between the mesh and existing wall. Check to make sure that it is bonded well to it’s surface. Allow the mastic to dry for 24 hours before you get started with your stone.
- Step 3 – Begin installing your cultured stone from the bottom working up. Apply mastic to the back of the stone and apply to the surface. The stone, just like a natural stone will vary in size, so you may find that you need to cut it to fit using a wet tile saw. If you have to use the wet saw ensure that you’ve dried the stone before applying mastic.
TIP: You want enough mastic to ooze a bit when you press the stone to the surface, but not so much that it oozes beyond the joints of two stone pieces.
- Step 4 – Allow your stone to dry for 72 hours before sealing the stone. Use this guide to learn how to clean your stone once installation is complete. Enjoy!
Native Custom Stone can create a custom stone color and style based on your needs. Contact a Native Custom Stone vendor near you to find our more about their beautiful cultured stone products.