Your local faux stone supplier wants to to show you how to make your home more appealing by applying faux stone veneer. Manufactured stone veneer can be used in so many do-it-yourself projects to accent your home. It gives off the impression of sturdy stone construction without the cost and time consuming installation. One of the many great places to install manufactured stone veneer is on an exposed exterior basement.
- Your surface will need to be clean, unpainted, untreated, and unsealed. For brick, concrete, or block you can apply the veneer directly to the wall.
- Prepare your mortar. This is the best mix: 12 heaping shovels of sand to 1 bag of type S masonry mortar.
- Start with you straight edges first, so, right where your siding stops. Spread the mortar approximately ½” thick onto the exposed surface.
- Place your stone over and under by 3” from where you want to stone to rest. Push the stone into the mortar firmly and ‘twist it’ up and over to its resting place.
- Dressing the joints is a critical step, its also the slowest. When the joints are drying, at about 50%, fill the shallow areas and smooth them with a jointing tool.
- Brush the finished mortar with a handheld whisk broom to clean off excess. Also, clean off any mortar that is on the stone with a wet rag. Do not let it rest over night without completing this step.
- Finish up by cleaning your area. Let the mortar dry for 24 hours and wash with a simple water hose. Apply sealer according to manufactures instructions.
This is surprisingly simple installation that will have professional results. Your home will have the look of a sturdy stone construction. Native Custom Stone has a huge selection of manufactured stone veneer designed to make the interior or exterior of your home look timeless. If you’ve been considering adding stone to your home give them a call!